More than 500,000 HAMP modifications have been made permanent

As of February 1, 2011, more than half a million HAMP modifications have been made permanent. Read more about it here. What do people do when they don’t receive a permanent HAMP modification? Some people, who may not qualify for a modification under the HAMP program have been able to obtain an in-house modification through their bank. Generally, the application process for an in-house modification is the same as the application process for the HAMP program, but the banks have more leeway in deciding whether to grant an in-house modification. The process for obtaining an in-house modification is not really any less frustrating or time-consuming than obtaining a HAMP modification. It is, however, another option for a struggling homeowner who would like to save his or her home.

Homeowners who are not able to save their homes sometimes participate in the Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives (HAFA) Program – by doing a short sale or a deed in lieu of foreclosure.

Sometimes, a homeowner who is unable to obtain a modification chooses to let their house go into foreclosure. A homeowner who chooses this option should be sure that they understand their state’s laws regarding deficiency judgments and foreclosure. Here is a link to my blog post about Minnesota’s laws regarding deficiency judgments.

Leave a Reply